Tuesday, February 8, 2011

What are you saving it for? To make soup?

I got an email from my sister-in-law. Subject line--Mom's toe fell off. Doesn't that make you want to open the mail right up? Especially if there might be pictures attached! My mother-in-law, unfortunately, had a complication after foot surgery and her toe became infected. The doctors debated whether to amputate the toe, but finally decided to let it come off on its own. When they told me that, I had nightmares about where and when it might fall off--during a family dinner? While she was sleeping in my bed at our mountain house? While trying on shoes at the shoe store--"I've decided not to buy the black heels and could you throw this ped away for me? Careful, there's a big toe in it!"

It took a year, but the toe finally came off, according to the email. But all of my guesses about where it might happen were wrong. It happened on a cruise ship. My father-in-law and mother-in-law were on a cruise to Greece with some of the family and one morning, my MIL woke up and the toe was off (I bet all you people who have cruised to Greece are now wondering if it happened in the bed you slept in.). The email went on to say that the ship's doctor had examined MIL and she was fine. That's good news and a sensible course of action. But here's where I ask myself the big question--AM I CRAZY? OR IS IT THEM?--because the email continued to say that they put the blackened toe in a freezer bag and put it in the ship's safe. IN THE SHIP'S SAFE. Why would they do that?? I asked if the doctor had told them to keep it after if fell off so he could examine it and they said no. So I asked why would you save it and they said, "It didn't seem right to just throw it in the trash." Okay, so I wouldn't want to be the person who emptied that trash can, but BURIAL AT SEA, people! You say a few words, sing a hymn or two, and then launch the stinky, blackened stub over the side.

But no, they kept it, brought it home packed in one of the suitcases (lucky, lucky agent who had to search that bag) and they put it in their freezer. With the food. Right next to the fudgsicles and cheesecake. Or maybe it's more comfortable next to the chicken fingers and the blackened catfish, I don't know. But I do know that they don't think there is anything unusual about it. Go to their house and ask where the ice cream is and they'll answer, "On the top shelf, on the left, right behind Mom's toe."  

3 comments:

  1. O.M.G!!!! I've just about peed myself reading this. You are freaking hilarious! I read the whole post to my hubby who was cracking up too.
    Very very funny. And disturbing.
    You need to submit this for publication!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terry. I wish this wasn't a true story, but it is. Guess what came in the mail today??? Dogsled Dreams!!! My husband and I are already fighting over who gets to read it first, but I think I can take him. He's a big outdoorsman and we both loved our time in Alaska especially riding the dogsleds. We already have plans to go back for a longer stay. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog entry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day I was with an older lady who had just left the hospital and kept lifting her shirt and showing off the procedure she had done and talking about it in graphic detail, and later her shoe slipped off and I thought "at least she probably has all her toes" AND SHE DIDN'T. She was only missing her second toe though, not the big one, and I'm sure her story was not as good...how could it be?

    ReplyDelete