Monday, May 9, 2011

Hello, Mom? Is Shrimp Scampi First Or Second Base?

So I've been thinking a lot about prom and how things have changed since I was a young-un. Of course, back then Ma and Pa had to get out the wagon to take us across the prairie to the one room school house . . .

I grew up in a small town where even if you didn't know everyone in the school, you knew their name and knew of them. We didn't have a Junior Prom and a Senior Prom, we had a Junior/Senior Prom which both grades attended. It was always held in the high school gymnasium where a committee spent weeks making  flowers out of tissue paper and trying to find a unique way to cover the basketball hoops. We had themes based on popular songs like "Stairway to Heaven" and the decorations matched the theme as much as possible (We built a fake staircase that twisted up to the gym ceiling as though "heaven" was in the second floor biology lab).

In those days, boys asked girls to prom. Period. If a boy didn't ask you, you didn't go and no one went solo. In fact, the tickets were sold by the couple, not the person. They were mimeographed sheets of paper that had been cut up into tickets and when you bought one, they wrote the boy and girl's names on the bottom of the ticket. I think a ticket cost $25 and we thought that was highway robbery, but all those tissue paper flowers had to be paid for somehow.

Some girls bought new dresses for prom, but most either borrowed one, wore a hand-me-down from a relative, or their mothers made a dress for them. Even the girls who bought one spent less than fifty dollars on it. We did our own hair and nails or had a friend do it for us. We wore the high heels we already owned for special occasions and no one dyed their shoes to match their gowns.

Your date would ask what color your dress was so he could buy flowers to match. Most girls got a small corsage to pin on their dress. The luckier ones got a wrist corsage. The ultimate at that time was a small bouquet that resembled a miniature bridal bouquet (I think it had the weird name of "nosegay") and very few girls received those. Most of the flowers were carnations, although sometimes a rose or two was mixed in if your date was flashy. My dates weren't flashy.

On the big night, your date would pick you up in his parent's car (usually a station wagon) and take you out to dinner. The only food waiting for you in the gymnasium was food donated by parents that ran the gamut from chips and pretzels to brownies and cookies, so dinner at a restaurant was an unwritten rule of prom night and girls bragged about which restaurant their date had chosen. Imagine the awkwardness of the dinner conversation when it's you and a boy who you've known most of your life, but have never talked to before.

Plus, you have to add in the advice your mother gave you before you left that you should order something nice, but not too nice because then your date might expect something in return. This advice led to thoughts like, "Hmmm, I've always wanted to try the lasagna, but that's $12.50 which translates to ten or fifteen minutes of necking. No way this guy's getting a steak dinner worth of wrestling in his back seat. I'm not eating steak until I'm married. He's not bad looking, and since he had his braces taken off, my lips should be safe for a kiss or two, so I think I'll go with the $9.00 chicken parmesan."

At the dance itself, the gym was suddenly magical with its twinkly lights and twisted streamers. A local band had been hired to perform and everyone crowded the floor to shift their weight from one foot to the other in true seventies dance style. Boys had to be dragged out for fast dances, but did the dragging on the slow ones since for some, it was their first chance to actually touch a girl their age. Every couple on the dance floor moved the same--girls' arms around boys' necks, boys' arms around girls' waists, no space between bodies, all leaning left, then leaning right, with an occasional change in the direction of the spinning as the only variety. We were about as animated as zombies.

When the prom ended, there were a variety of entertainment options. Some flocked to parties to continue the drinking they had started on the way to prom. Others dropped their dates off at their door with a quick kiss and a thank you for a lovely evening. Still others found a hidden spot in a local cornfield to park and negotiate what a dinner of chicken parm is really worth.

I have watched all four of my daughters navigate the complexities of present day proms and I can tell you that prom has been taking steroids.

First of all, while there are those who already have a significant other and are set for a date, so many others find dates through committee. If your friend has a boyfriend, she asks him which of his friends want to go to prom and then his list is matched with her list of friends until everyone has a suitable date. This, of course, involves negotiations and compromise. It also means boys don't have to actually ask a girl until they already know that the answer will be yes. Sometimes a more outgoing girl will just stand up before class and ask who still needs a prom date and then will match up the people who raise their hands, either with each other, or with people outside that class who she knows are still searching. It's all so civilized and democratic. It's also about as romantic as union negotiations.

Once a date has been procured, the search for a dress is on. I've already described that adventure in a previous post, but there are also appointments for hair, manicure, pedicure, waxing, exfoliating, dermabrasion, spray tan, and maybe other procedures I don't want to know about. These days, a girl has to have more things creamed, sprayed, and removed for prom night than I had done for my wedding day. Hey, I shaved my legs and put on deodorant--what more do you want? If my date/husband isn't attracted to me unless I allow hot wax to be poured onto various body parts, he'd better be willing to have the same thing done in the same areas and be willing to go first.

Proms these days aren't held in the school gym. They are held in banquet halls and country clubs and nightclubs. A buffet dinner is served and there isn't any prom decorating committee folding tissues into flowers since the venue provides live flowers. There's no homemade stairway winding up into the biology lab, there are balloon covered trellises. Real linens, china, crystal, and silver have replaced the paper plates, plastic cups, and brightly colored paper napkins of my prom days. No awkward dinner for two beforehand, now you share the meal with all those seated at your table. And don't plan on picking up your date in Dad's car because even a limo isn't enough these days--it has to be a stretch Hummer that seats twenty or a party bus that holds twelve couples. And what chance do you have to take your date parking in a cornfield for some smooching when you're in one of those?

My strongest memory of prom is of my date in my junior year. He was a senior who I had never actually talked to before. We had a nice time, shared a quick kiss goodnight, and I thought that was that. He graduated, joined the Navy, and I moved on to my senior year. Then out of the blue, he called to say he was home on leave and to ask if I would have dinner with him. I thought it would be fun to see how he was doing and I accepted.

He picked me up and immediately I could tell he was no longer the shy, quiet guy who had taken me to prom. He seemed more confidant and very edgy. He talked a lot on the drive to the restaurant. We had a nice dinner and then went to see a movie. About halfway through the film, he put his arm around me and I let him, not seeing any harm in it (he did buy me dinner, after all, and I had the chicken PLUS a piece of cake for dessert). When we were walking across the parking lot to his car, he stopped and planted a big, sloppy kiss on me. Now I wasn't as comfortable. He was a nice enough guy, I thought, but I wasn't attracted to him and he was only home on leave. We got in the car and as we were driving, he opened the glove box, took out a baggie of pills and asked me if I wanted one before popping one in his mouth. I was a naive little country girl, but even I knew these weren't tic-tacs.

He turned the radio up really loud and said he knew a good place at a local farm where we could park and "talk" for awhile. There are two reasons to go into a cornfield--one is to pick corn and the other isn't to talk. I just wanted out of the car at that point. I made excuses why I really had to get home and he started telling me how much he had missed me and thought about me while he was at basic training. He said he couldn't get me off his mind, which I thought was really strange since we hadn't had a relationship or anything, just a few casual dates. When we reached my house, he just kept driving. His talking became even more slurred and rambling and I knew I wasn't going into a cornfield or anywhere else with this guy. At a red light a few blocks past my house, I jumped out of the car and ran into the backyard of the nearest house and kept running through backyards until I reached my own. After locking the door, I peered out the front window and saw his car stop in front of my house, sit idling for a few minutes, and then pull away. I thought my heart was going to pound out of my chest.

The next day, the phone rang and when I answered, it was his mother calling me to ask if I had seen or heard from him. I said I had gone out with him the night before, but hadn't been in touch since. She said, "Oh, my, so he's in town?" I said, "He was last night. Haven't you seen him since he came home on leave?" She answered, "He isn't home on leave. He went AWOL. I knew he was missing you because he talks about you a lot in phone calls and letters. I had a feeling you might have been the reason he took off." I promised her that I would call if I saw or heard from him again, which I was praying wouldn't happen. It didn't. I have no idea what became of him. I hope, wherever he is, he is happy and well.

Because of him, when I get up in the morning and look in the mirror to see another wrinkle creasing my forehead, another silver hair mixed with the blonde, bags under my eyes big enough to pack lunch in, and another chin resting on my chest, I tell myself, "Yeah, okay, but once upon a time, a man went AWOL just to buy you dinner and have a chance to take you parking in a cornfield," and it's a little easier keeping my chin up, or in my case, chins up.

And as scary as it was, it was certainly more romantic than a union negotiation.

6 comments:

  1. Well in my situation my date just assumed he was taking me and didn't even ask....I think that lies somewhere between AWOL Navy man and union negotiations. Hilarious post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that of your guy! He's so romantic. He always remembers your anniversaries and makes a big deal of them and he wore a top hat to prom. Of course for him, remembering your anniversaries might just be an excuse to have steak. He probably even has them marked on his calendar with a little hand-drawn T-bone.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I just realized your guy ALWAYS makes you steak for your dinners on the anniversary of your first date! No steak dinners until after you are married! Chicken Parm! Chicken Parm! Didn't your mother teach you anything!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahaha the comment section of this post is even funnier than the blog (which was so scary I didn't know that!). One of my friends ran into my union negotiated prom date a couple years later and he told her he was "in a bad way" and had been to both Juvie and Jail...when she said "she you later" he said "no you won't" so I guess we sorta have something in common as far as prom dates going crazy after graduation...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your senior prom date who got back in touch with you not that long ago? Him? The one whose father freaked out because we took the back way when we went for pictures? What was he in jail for?

    He seemed like such a nice boy. (Isn't that what the neighbors always tell the reporters after a hostage situation or bones are found in a back yard?) I knew I should have made you girls go with your cousins.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha no, he was nice, I mean my junior prom date. Also, most of this blog is about how insane our relatives are, why would you want us to go to prom with them?!

    ReplyDelete