Sunday, February 26, 2012

Why Is There A Glob of Chocolate Pudding On My Nightstand And Other Questions Parents Have To Ask


(This actually happened when my girls were still relatively young. It explains a lot about why I have silver strands mixed in with the blonde in my hair and why I have trouble expressing a complete thought.)

Me: “Can someone please tell me why I just found a glob of chocolate pudding on the nightstand in my bedroom?

No answer.

Me: “I know I wasn’t eating chocolate pudding in my room, so someone else in this house must know something about this.”

Youngest daughter M, twelve years old: “Oh yeah, that might have been me.”

Me: “You were eating chocolate pudding in my bed?”

M: “Nope.”

Me: “Then how did the pudding get there?”

M: “I had a headache.”

Me: “You had a headache?”

M: “Yup.”

Me: “And smearing chocolate pudding on the nightstand made your headache better somehow?”

M: “I needed to take a pill for my headache.”

Me: “And?”

M: “I can’t swallow a pill unless I put it in something else so I put it in a spoonful of chocolate pudding.”

Me: “Okay, but how did it get in my bedroom?”

M: “The cat was staring at me.”

Me: “So you flung the pudding at the cat and it landed on the nightstand? Was the pill still in it?”

M: “I didn’t fling the pudding at the cat. The cat was in the kitchen staring at me when I tried to swallow the pill, and it’s hard enough to swallow a pill without a cat staring at you, so I went upstairs to do it in the privacy of your room.”

Me: “Then what happened?”

M: “I’m not sure”

Me: “Let’s recreate the scene. You’re standing next to my bed. You have a spoonful of chocolate pudding in your ---which hand was it in?”

M: “The right hand.”

Me: “So the spoon is in your right hand and you raise it to your mouth and . . .”

M: “Oh yeah, I gagged on the pill.”

Me: “Now we’re getting somewhere! Did you spit the pudding and the pill onto the nightstand?”

M: “Ewwww, gross! No, I ran into the bathroom and spit the pill into the sink.”

Me: “Now think really hard, was the spoon in your hand when you got to the sink?”

M: “No.”

Me: “Picture the spoon. Where is it?”

M: “I remember now! I dropped it on the nightstand when I gagged.”

Me: “But I only found pudding on the nightstand. There was no evidence of a spoon.”

M: I went back and picked up the spoon and brought it to the kitchen so you wouldn’t get mad.”

Me: “Okay. Now I understand. Could you please grab a paper towel and go up and wipe up the pudding.”

M: “I can’t.”

Me: “Why not?”

M: “I have a headache.” 

10 comments:

  1. ^Makes perfect sense. And it explains a lot of other things too. :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you can see why I'm as twisted as I am--it's all my children's fault. Well, and my husband's. And my in-laws. And let's not forget my friends and my pets. They are all to blame for making me as crazy as I am. I used to be perfectly normal (well, at least I'm sure I had a month or two of normality as an infant).

      "Makes perfect sense."??? Mirka, do you have trouble swallowing pills if a cat is staring at you? :D

      Delete
  2. LOL. We have a lot of strange incidents like this one at my house too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kelly! Yup, moms not only have to have the radar to know where every single thing is located in the house, but they have to learn to translate infant, toddler, puberty-stricken, and full teenager. It's an art form, really.

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Yup...sounds about right! I followed M's train of thought completely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised that you could follow M's train of thought since you are probably the one who taught her to think that way!

      By the way, the cat's staring at you. Don't try to swallow.

      Delete
  4. That is classic, and it sounds so much like some of the conversations we've had in our house. Once, after a birthday party, I ended up with pockets full of half-eaten sandwiches and plastic insects. And I sure as shooting hadn't put them there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the fact that you had sandwiches in your pockets, you're lucky the insects were only plastic! :)

      Thanks for stopping by again, Mary!

      Delete
  5. once again, hubby asking from the other room what am I reading whenever I read your blog. lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, TerryLynn! Great to "see" you again! I love the giveaway you are doing on your blog. What a great and generous idea!

      Tell hubby I said "Hi!"

      Judy

      Delete