Sunday, May 29, 2011

Squid, Goat's Hair, and The Parent/Teacher Relationship

My oldest child started kindergarten in 1990. I have had at least one daughter in public school ever since. I've spent a lot of time in classrooms over the years, as a homeroom mom numerous times, as a writing workshop teacher, reading my own books to kids, and doing other volunteer work. I was even asked to fill in as a substitute teacher at a Catholic school several times when they were shorthanded (must have been really shorthanded).

I've gotten to know a lot of teachers pretty well and appreciate the work they do. Several of my family members are teachers and my daughter A's boyfriend (Hi, T!) is one year away from becoming a teacher. So I don't want you to take this as an indictment of all teachers. Most of them are quite lovely people.

But there are those teachers who haunt the halls of your children's schools who are, beyond a shadow of doubt, sadists.

I'm not talking about the ones who are tough on their students.

I'm talking about the ones who have it in for the parents.

This post is about those teachers who send home a list of supplies for a fourth grade book project that are nicer than the ones most professionals own. When I was little, we made a book by glueing scraps of material onto cardboard we had cut from a box and then threading yarn through holes that we punched in the spine. Now, when it's time for your child's words of wisdom to be gathered into a book, you'll need a fourteen dollar goat's hair brush with medium bristles and an angled head so she can use it one time to brush glue onto a ten dollar piece of custom grayboard and then leave it to harden into a lump that even a goat wouldn't recognize.

Of course, these required supplies can't be found in the five local art or craft stores that you search. You'll end up only finding them in an online specialty shop, then crossing your fingers that they arrive in time as your child reminds you every day that she needs them by Friday or she'll be the only one who doesn't have what the teacher told them to bring. Of course, once the supplies do arrive and your child takes them in, she comes home to tell you that half the class brought in synthetic brushes from the dollar store and the teacher didn't say a word.

I'm all for fun and interesting projects that engage student's minds and imaginations, just not ones that take more of my time and money to accomplish than planning my wedding did.

We've made it through all sorts of these projects from dioramas of world wars to music videos about dictators to a shoebox replication of George Washington's parlor using a combination of popsicle sticks and dollhouse furniture, but there is one category that is far, far worse than any other---the cooking projects.

At least once a year, from grade school through high school, one teacher would decide that a wonderful way to incorporate a lesson or book about a particular country would be to have each student prepare a dish enjoyed by the population of that country. These sadists then hand out recipes to the students to be prepared at home and shared with the class in a celebration of learning. It has not escaped my notice that the teacher's pet usually gets assigned the exhausting chore of only bringing in paper plates.

I enjoy cooking. I am actually a pretty competent cook. But that is with ingredients I recognize and measurements that are on my kitchen tools. Year after year I would receive recipes that were about as recognizable to me as the instructions necessary for disabling a bomb and with almost as many ways for it all to go very wrong.

This past week, my daughter M remembered on Wednesday night that she needed to bring in a homemade chocolate squidgy roll for a British celebration on Friday. In M's defense, she had been very sick all week and is usually much better about giving me notice. My daughter C and her fiance were in town for the week along with daughter A and we had been in accelerated wedding planning mode, visiting possible reception sites and shopping for the all-important wedding gown. Between a sick dog, houseguests, and wedding appointments, I was reduced to licking candy bar wrappers from the floor of the car in case there was a morsel of sugar or caffeine to be had. I was exhausted. Now I had to bake a squidgy roll? I had never even heard of such a thing. Did I need to find a seafood shop that sold squid? Did people actually eat chocolate on squid?

Turns out a chocolate squidgy roll is a type of sponge cake and no squid needed to die for this assignment. I didn't recognize the measurements, but since they were in milliliters, I knew I could convert them easily enough. The recipe called for basic ingredients that I already had in my pantry, except for the castor sugar. Googling it revealed that castor sugar is just a superfine sugar that blends easier to make meringues and cream fillings. Okay, no problem. My local grocery store should have this in their baking aisle.

Except they didn't. So in between appointments, I stopped at a craft store that has a large selection of specialty baking items, but they didn't have it either. I repeatedly called another shop that I thought might have it, but no one ever answered the phone. Not a good sign. I looked it up online and found out that I could take regular sugar and grind it up in my food processor, but it would likely scratch the plastic to bits. I wasn't excited about that option, so I kept looking. I finally found a store that carried superfine sugar and I was ready to proceed. Of course, I still had appointments to juggle and guests to feed, so it was nine p.m. Thursday night before I was able to attempt my squidgy roll. M was still sick and I didn't want her to contaminate her classmates' food, so she just observed instead of being a hands-on assistant. C helped instead. We were making two of the cakes since they needed to feed twenty-one students and a teacher.

Milk and cocoa needed to brought gently to an acceptable warmth, then set aside. Eight eggs needed to be separated and then the yolks beat by hand with the special sugar until reaching a proper degree of creaminess (or until you develop carpal tunnel). Mix the cocoa concoction with the egg/sugar combo, then whip the egg whites until they are stiff enough to poke your eye out and fold them in. Spread the batter on a jelly roll pan that has been greased and lined with parchment paper and stick in the preheated oven. Whip the heavy cream by hand, then spread over the cooled sponge cake. Now for the fun part---carefully roll the cake from end to end so you have a delightful log of cake with a spiral of cream in the middle.

Only the cake didn't want to stay in one piece as it was rolled and moist sections came off on my fingertips. My log looked like beavers had been gnawing at it. The recipe called for the remainder of the whipped cream to be piped on top of the log and then artfully decorated with sliced strawberries before shaving chocolate over the whole dessert. Does this sound like an assignment a high school student can accomplish on her own? Maybe if your high school offers Cordon Bleu classes as required courses, but not a student from our high school.

I hid the worst of the bald spots on the two cakes under the cream, strawberries, and chocolate, shoveled it all into a container, stuck it in the refrigerator, cleaned up the assortment of bowls, measuring devices, pots, pans, and utensils, then stumbled from the kitchen and fell into bed.

The next afternoon, I waited for M to get home from school so I could hear the praise from her teacher that would make the effort worthwhile. She carried in the tupperware container and opened it to show me that one and a half squidgy lay untouched. I asked what had happened and she said that with twenty students bringing in food (and one lucky parent's child bringing in paper plates) there was just too much for it all to be eaten. I asked if at least the teacher had liked it and was informed that the teacher doesn't eat sugar, so she hadn't tried it. Well, I said, at least she must have acknowledged how much effort went into the final product and given you a good grade on it. This wasn't for a grade, she replied, just an assignment for fun. I reached for another candy bar wrapper to lick.

Sadists, I tell you. Rubbing their hands together and cackling as they think up more and more complicated punishments for parents. M is my youngest and she has one more year of this. I'm not sure I can make it. The only thing keeping me sane is the knowledge that I've never been asked to cook anything for one of my daughters' college level courses.

At least not yet.

Please don't study Japanese, M. If I can massacre a squidgy roll, just imagine what I would do to an innocent little springroll. The possibilities haunt me.

No comments:

Post a Comment